Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as Counsel or expert witnesses. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Counsel’s fees to represent you at a Tribunal Hearing, including preparation, are estimated between £1,000 to £3,500 per day, depending on experience of the advocate and complexity of the case and length of the hearing.
The fees set out above cover all of the work in relation to the following key stages of a claim:
- Taking your initial instructions, reviewing the papers and advising you on merits and likely compensation (this is likely to be revisited throughout the matter and subject to change);
- Entering into pre-claim conciliation where this is mandatory to explore whether a settlement can be reached;
- Preparing claim or response;
- Reviewing and advising on claim or response from other party;
- Exploring settlement and negotiating settlement throughout the process;
- Preparing or considering a schedule of loss;
- Preparing for (and attending) a Preliminary Hearing;
- Exchanging documents with the other party and agreeing a bundle of documents;
- Taking witness statements, drafting statements and agreeing their content with witnesses;
- Preparing bundle of documents;
- Reviewing and advising on the other party’s witness statements;
- Agreeing a list of issues, a chronology and/or cast list;
- Preparation for, and attendance with counsel, at Final Hearing, including instructions to Counsel.
The stages set out above are an indication; if some of stages above are not required, the fee will be reduced.
You may wish to handle the claim yourself and only have our advice in relation to some of the stages. This can also be arranged in accordance with your individual needs.
How long will my matter take?
The time that it takes from taking your initial instructions to the final resolution of your matter depends largely on the stage at which your case is resolved. If a settlement is reached during pre-claim conciliation, your case is likely to take 2-3 weeks. If your claim proceeds to a Final Hearing, your case is likely to take 5 months to 9 months to resolve, depending on the length of the hearing required and the location of the Tribunal. This is just an estimate and we will of course be able to give you a more accurate timescale once we have more information and as the matter progresses.